In a generation where orthodoxy's lamented slide to the right continues its embarrassing descent, CSG is a little tugboat pulling with all his or her might to the left.


The unsung heroes of the CSG.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

skinnies are banned. am i really breaking another halacha?


In the shidduch world jeans have always been considered unacceptable, however now for the first time Modern Orthodox rabbis have stated that skinny jeans are now assur for they go against the laws of tzniut.

According to Rav Tzion Amichai, skinny jeans are so tight subsequently causing girls to know the religion of the boys which they are looking at. In response to this Rabbi Elad Speiro forcefully stated that skinny jeans are assur but not because of girls noticing which religion the boy belongs to but rather due to the hashkafa behind the jeans.

Rabbi Elad Speiro furthers his argument by stating that “skinny jeans represents an anti-establishment attitude…a boy who wears skinny jeans would rather listen to indie-goyishe music than learn Torah…this must be stopped.”

Unfortunately, you will not be able to find skinny jeans with a hechsher on them anymore. The frummer society becomes the more shapeless our clothes become.

Even though Rabbi Elad Speiro, frowns on skinny jeans I would like to write that I wore skinny jeans in Yeshivat Har Etzion for a number of months without a single comment from the rabbanim. Unlike all the other talmidim at Gush I will not pretend that I was close to Rav Aaron Lichtenstein but I am sure he saw me and my jeans in the corridors of Gush. 

No comments:

Post a Comment