I really do enjoy the legitimate fluidity of halacha within the Modern Orthodox world. I find it fascinating how halacha adapts to the human condition and to a certain degree also takes emotion into account. However, there still is a long way to go. In Modern Orthodox yeshivot and midrashoth rabbis believe platonic friendships do not exist and that single girls are the physical manifestation of the devil.
It is interesting to note that while in these institutions relationships and friendship are mostly disapproved of, however, once one has left, yichud and shomer negia are no longer issues and kashrut is back in fashion and the talk of the town. It is probably the single most discussed issue at the moment.
I have always wanted to be a secret agent. For a while as a child I was seriously considering becoming an astronaut, but I decided against it. I do not want to take the risk of starting a family in space. It is simply too restrictive, not to mention the issues with Shabbat and kashrut!
All boys have looked at the life of James Bond and Wolfgang Lotz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Lotz, there’s also a book published about his life and exploits) and fantasised about the fast cars, the women and the licence to kill. I am sure that a secret agent’s life is not that adventurous, however, rabbis in Israel have permitted secret agents to have sex with a terrorist for operational purposes! Rabbi Shvat, the author of this study, wrote that “not only is it permissible but the sages raise that action of devotion to the top of the pyramid of halachic priorities as the most important mitzvah of all.” Incredible! There is no doubt that we are living in messianic times.
I cannot imagine the Haredim joining the Mossad yet, but it’s a start. The rabbis will come round.
Below is an application for a job with the Mossad.
https://www.mossad.gov.il/Eng/recruit/Register/PersonalDetails.aspx
Below is the study on Ynet.
http://www.ynet.co.il/english/articles/0,7340,L-3963762,00.html
Mixed seating at weddings is frowned upon but having sex for the sake of national security. Sign me up.

No comments:
Post a Comment